- Professor of the Chair of Physics of the Condensed Matter and Nanosized Systems, School of Natural Sciences and Mathematics, Ural Federal University, Ekaterinburg.
- Head of Ferroelectrics Lab, School of Natural Sciences and Mathematics, Ural Federal University, Ekaterinburg.
- Honorary Worker of High Professional Education of Russian Federation, since 2005
- IEEE Senior Member, 2016
- Russian National Award Winner: “Professor of the Year” on Natural Sciences, 2018.
- Author of more than 400 publications in peer-reviewed journals and 10 book chapters.
- Hirsh Index – 33, number of citations – above 4000 (WoS).
- He is the author of key results on nanodomain engineering in ferroelectrics. He is also known in the field of ferroelectric domain kinetics for elucidating works on the polarization switching.
- He is currently engaged in research of the kinetics and statics of the domain structure in ferroelectrics, and micro- and nanodomain engineering in lithium niobate and lithium tantalate for nonlinear optical applications.
- Visiting Professor of Stanford University, Stanford, CA, December 1997, April 1998, July 1998, March 1999, July 1999, September 1999, August 2001, February 2002, August 2002.
- Visiting Professor of Penn State University, University Park, PA, August - September 1999.
- Visiting Professor of IWE RWTH Aachen, Aachen, Germany, July 1997, August 2000.
- Visiting Professor of Darmstadt Technical University, Darmstadt, Germany, August 2000, July 2002, July 2003, July 2004, July 2005, July 2006.
- Visiting Professor of National Institute for Materials Science, Tsukuba, Japan, March, December 2000, November-December 2001, May 2002, October 2003, September 2004, February 2008.
- Visiting Professor of Laboratoire Matériaux et Microélectronique de Provence, Universite de Toulon et du Var, La Garde, France, June-July 2001, July 2003, July 2004, July 2005, July 2006, July 2006, July 2007.
- Visiting Professor of Laboratoire de Physique de la Matiere Condensee de Universite de Nice - Sophia Antipolis, Nice, France, September 2002.
- Member of Scientific Council of Russian Academy of Science on Ferroelectrics and Dielectrics, since 1990.
- Editorial Board Member of the International Journal “Integrated Ferroelectrics”, since 1992.
- Member of Material Research Society, since 1995.
- Member of Optical Society of America, since 2002
- Editorial Board Member of the International Journal “Ferroelectrics”, since 2006.
- Member of Nano-technological Society of Russia, since 2008.
- Member of European Optical Society, since 2009.
- Editor of Journal of Advanced Dielectrics, since 2012.
- President of Ural Branch of Optical Society of Russia, since 2013.
- Member of the Institute of Solid State Physics, University of Latvia (ISSP UL) International Advisory Council, since 2014.
- Member of council on scientific, technological, and innovation collaboration of BRICS countries, since 2015.
- Member of the Ferroelectrics Committee of the IEEE Ultrasonics, Ferroelectrics, and Frequency Control Society, since 2015.
- IEEE Senior Member, since 2016.
- Invited lecturer at more than 100 International Conferences and Scientific Schools.
- Reviewer for International Journals: “ACS Applied Materials & Interfaces”, “ACS Nano”, “Advanced Electronic Materials“, “Applied Physics Letters”, “Applied Surface Science”, “The European Physical Journal B”, “The Journal of Physical Chemistry”, “Journal of Advanced Dielectrics”, “Journal of Applied Physics", “Journal of American Ceramic Society”, “Journal of Inorganic Materials”, “Journal of Physics D”, “IEEE Transactions on Ultrasonics, Ferroelectrics, and Frequency Control”, “Integrated Ferroelectrics”, “Ferroelectrics”, “Laser and Photonics Review”, “Materials Chemistry and Physics”, “Materials Science and Engineering B”, “Micron”, “Nanoscale”, “Nanotechnology”, “Nature Materials”, “Nature Nano”, “New Journal of Physics”, “Optical Materials”, “Optics Express”, “Physica B: Condensed Matter”, “Physica Status Solidi”, “Thin Solid Films”, “Physics of Solid State”, etc.
- Member of International Advisory Board of Asian Meeting on Ferroelectricity (AMF)
- Member of Organizing Committee of International Symposiums on Application of Ferroelectrics (ISAF)
- Member of International Advisory Board of International Symposium on Ferroelectric Domains (ISFD)
- Member of International Advisory Board of Russia/CIS/Baltic/Japan Symposium on Ferroelectricity (RCBJSF)
Organization of International Conferences:
- International Symposium “Micro- and Nano-scale Domain Structuring in Ferroelectrics”, November 15-19, 2005
- 2nd International Symposium “Micro- and Nano-scale Domain Structuring in Ferroelectrics”, August 22-27, 2007
- 3rd International Symposium “Micro- and Nano-scale Domain Structuring in Ferroelectrics”, September 13-18, 2009
- Joint International Symposium “11th International Symposium on Ferroic Domains and Micro- to Nanoscopic Structures” and “11th Russia/CIS/Baltic/Japan Symposium on Ferroelectricity” (ISFD-11-RCBJSF), August 20-24, 2012
- International Conference "Piezoresponse Forсe Microscopy and Nanoscale Phenomena in Polar Materials" with Int. Youth Conference "Functional Imaging of Nanomaterials” (PFM-2014), July 14-17, 2014
- International Workshop “Modern Nanotechnologies” (IWMN 2015), August 27-29, 2015
- IV Sino-Russian ASRTU Symposium on Advanced Materials and Processing Technology, June 23-26, 2016
- International Workshop “Modern Nanotechnologies” (IWMN 2016), August 27-29, 2016
- International Conference “Scanning Probe Microscopy 2017”(SPM -2017), August 27-30, 2017
Honorary Worker of High Professional Education of Russian Federation, since 2005
Russian National Award “Professor of the Year” on Natural Sciences, 2018.
Papers: more than 400;
Joint monographs chapters 10;
Citation index 4003; Hirsh index: 33 (Web of Science)
Supervisor of 23 PhD theses.
- Domain engineering in lithium niobate and lithium tantalate for nonlinear optical application;
- Micro and nano-domain engineering in ferroelectrics;
- Ferroic domain structure: arising and evolution;
- Kinetics of phase transformations;
- Material design and structural color inspired by biomimetic approach.
Chapters in books:
- V.Ya. Shur, Fast Polarization Reversal Process: Evolution of Ferroelectric Domain Structure in Thin Films, in "Ferroelectric Thin Films: Synthesis and Basic Properties", Ferroelectricity and Related Phenomena series, Ed. by C.A. Paz de Araujo, J.F. Scott, G.W. Taylor, Gordon & Breach Science Publ., 1996, V.10, Ch.6, pp.153-192.
- V.Ya. Shur, E.L. Rumyantsev, and S.D. Makarov, The Geometrical Phase Transformations During Evolution in Finite Media, in «Mathematics of Microstructure Evolution», EMPMD Monograph Series, Ed. by L.-Q. Chen, B. Fultz, J.W. Cahn, J.R. Manning, J.E. Morral, and J.A. Simmons, 1996, V.4, pp.187-194.
- V.Ya. Shur, Correlated Nucleation and Self-organized Kinetics of Ferroelectric Domains, in “Nucleation Theory and Applications”, Ed. by J.W.P. Schmelzer, WILEY-VCH (Weinheim), 2005, Ch.6, pp.178-214.
- V.Ya. Shur, Kinetics of Ferroelectric Domains: Application of General Approach to LiNbO3 and LiTaO3, in “Frontiers of Ferroelectricity”, Ed. by S.B. Lang, H.L.W.Chan, Springer, 2007, pp.199-210.
- V.Ya. Shur, Nano- and Micro-domain Engineering in Normal and Relaxor Ferroelectrics, in “Handbook of advanced dielectric, piezoelectric and ferroelectric materials. Synthesis, properties and applications”, edited by Zuo-Guang Ye, Woodhead Publishing Ltd, 2008, pp.622-669.
- V.Y. Shur, Lithium niobate and lithium tantalate-based piezoelectric materials, in “Advanced Piezoelectric Materials: Science and technology”, Ed. by K. Uchino, Woodhead Publishing Ltd, 2010.
- I. Coondoo, S. Kopyl, M. Ivanov, V.Ya. Shur, and A.L. Kholkin, Energy harvesting with biomaterials, in “Electrically Active Materials for Medical Devices”, Ed. by S.A.M. Tofail & J. Bauer, Imperial College Press, London, 2016, pp.297-313.
- M. Ivanov, S. Kopyl, S.A.M. Tofail, K. Ryan, B.J. Rodriguez, V.Ya. Shur, and A.L. Kholkin, Ferroelectricity in synthetic biomaterials: hydroxyapatite and polypeptides, in “Electrically Active Materials for Medical Devices”, Ed. by S.A.M. Tofail & J. Bauer, Imperial College Press, London, 2016, pp.150-166.
- V.Ya. Shur, Nano- and Micro-Domain Engineering of Lithium Niobate and Lithium Tantalate for Piezoelectric Applications, in “Advanced Piezoelectric Materials, Second edition”, Ed. by Kenji Uchino, © Woodhead Nature Publishing, 2017, pp. 235-270.
- B.A. Katsnelson, L.I. Privalova, M.P. Sutunkova, I.A. Minigalieva, V.B. Gurvich, V.Y. Shur, E.V. Shishkina, O.H. Makeyev, I.E. Valamina, A.N. Varaksin, and V.G. Panov, Experimental Research into Metallic and Metal Oxide Nanoparticle Toxicity in vivo, in “Bioactivity of Engineered Nanoparticles”, series: Nanomedicine and Nanotoxicology, Eds. Bing Yan, Hongyu Zhou and Jorge Gardea-Torresdey, Springer, Singapore, 2017, pp. 259-319.
- R.G. Batchko, V.Y. Shur, M.M. Fejer, R.L. Byer, Backswitch poling in lithium niobate for high-fidelity domain patterning and efficient blue light generation, Appl. Phys. Lett., 1999, V.75, N.12, pp.1673-1675.
- V.Ya. Shur, E.L. Rumyantsev, S.D. Makarov, Kinetics of phase transformations in real finite systems: application to switching in ferroelectrics, J. Appl. Phys., 1998, V.84, N.1, pp.445-451.
- V.Ya. Shur, E.L. Rumyantsev, E.V. Nikolaeva, E.I. Shishkin, D.V. Fursov, R.G. Batchko, L.A. Eyres, M.M. Fejer, R.L. Byer, Nanoscale Backswitched Domain Patterning in Lithium Niobate, Appl. Phys. Lett., 2000, V.76, N.2, pp.143-145.
- E. Strelcov, A.V. Ievlev, S. Jesse, I.I. Kravchenko, V.Y. Shur, S.V. Kalinin, Direct Probing of Charge Injection and Polarization-Controlled Ionic Mobility on Ferroelectric LiNbO3 Surfaces, Advanced Materials, 2014, V.26, No.6, pp.958-963. (doi 10.1002/adma.201304002). (Impact factor 19.791)
- A.E. Nguyen, P. Sharma, T. Scott, E. Preciado, V. Klee, D. Sun, I-Hsi (Daniel) Lu, D. Barroso, Suk Hyun Kim, V.Ya. Shur, A.R. Akhmatkhanov, A. Gruverman, L. Bartels, P.A. Dowben, Towards ferroelectric control of monolayer MoS2, Nano Letters, 2015, V.15, pp.3364−3369. (Impact factor 12.712)
- A.V. Ievlev, S. Jesse, A.N. Morozovska, E. Strelcov, E.A. Eliseev, Y.V. Pershin, A. Kumar, V.Ya. Shur, and S.V. Kalinin, Intermittency, Quaziperiodicity, and Chaos during Scanning Probe Microscopy Tip-induced Ferroelectric Domain Switching, Nature Physics, 2014, V.10, pp. 59-66;
doi 10.1038/nphys2796 (Impact factor 22.806)
- A.V. Ievlev, A.N. Morozovska, E.A. Eliseev, V.Ya. Shur, and S.V. Kalinin, Ionic Field Effect and Memristive Phenomena in Single-point Ferroelectric Domain Switching, Nature Communications, 2014, V.5, Article number: 4545 doi:10.1038/ncomms5545 (Impact factor 12.124)
- A.V. Ievlev, D.O. Alikin, A.N. Morozovska, O.V. Varenyk, E.A. Eliseev, A.L. Kholkin, V.Ya. Shur, and S.V. Kalinin, Symmetry Breaking and Electrical Frustration during Tip-Induced Polarization Switching in the Non-Polar Cut of Lithium Niobate Single Crystals, ACS Nano, 2015, V.9, No.1, pp.769-777. doi: 10.1021/nn506268g (Impact factor 13.942)
- V.Ya. Shur, A.R. Akhmatkhanov, and I.S. Baturin, Micro- and Nano-domain Engineering in Lithium Niobate, Appl. Phys. Rev., 2015, V.2, pp. 040604-1-22. doi: 10.1063/1.4928591
(Impact factor 13.667)